Please note that the application deadline for the 2013-2014 school year has passed. You can still apply, but your application will be considered a waitlist application.
I invite you to explore OWN's curriculum, mission, and educational philosophy on
these pages. See what we are doing and what we have accomplished. Then I urge
you to visit our school and see our vision brought to life. OWN is a stellar place for
learning and achieving. Learning is active. Teachers use activities that guide
children toward knowledge and the mastery of skills through imaginative
exploration. Children understand that the process of figuring something out is
as important as the answer. We know that Our World Neighborhood Charter
School is a remarkable place for children to grow and learn.
OWNCS is a non-sectarian, tuition-free, public school. The school does not discriminate against any student in the admissions process or the provision of educational programs based on ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or ability.
Students are selected for admission randomly by lottery. Residents of District 30 and siblings of current students, who submit complete applications by the application deadline are given priority for available seats. After all available spaces have been filled in each grade a wait list is created for the remaining applicants. The wait list expires at the end of the next school year.
- Parents/Guardians interested in having their child attend OWN Charter School are strongly encouraged to attend an Open House
- All applications must include a copy of your child’s birth certificate and proof of address (current utility bill, deed to a house, NYC housing rent receipt)
- Homeless families—In accordance with the McKinney Vento Act families who are homeless or reside in temporary housing will be entered into the lottery and do not need to submit proof of address
- Applications must be received by 4:00 pm on April 5, 2013 in order to be included in the lottery that will be held at the middle school on Thursday, April 11, 2013 at 7 pm
- Applications received after the deadline will be placed on a wait list
- Online Applications can be submitted through New York City Charter School Center by completing the
- Paper Applications
- Available at the elementary and middle school offices beginning December 3, 2012
- Submit completed application to the school by mail or in person (Applications sent by FAX or email will NOT be accepted)
Our World Neighborhood Charter School
Office of Admissions
36-12 35th Avenue
Astoria, NY 11106
- Notification of acceptance or wait list will be mailed no later than May 3, 2013. No admissions decisions will be given over the telephone
- Parents/Guardians who accept an offer for admission for their child must return an enrollment package no later than 4:00 pm on the specified due date. If OWN does not receive a fully completed enrollment package, the offer of admission will be forfeited and passed to a child on the wait list.
If you have any questions please contact
(718) 392-3405 x 258